Harvest Salad wih Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
Colorful, hearty and bright, this salad makes for a delicious autumn meal. Or, pair it with roast pork or chicken for a larger gathering.
Serves 4-6 | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
- 3 medium beets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 delicata squash, sliced into ¼-inch thick rings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 (8-ounce) package APPLEGATE ORGANICS® No Sugar Bacon
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces baby kale
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Heat oven to 400°F. Scrub beets and wrap tightly in foil. Place in the oven and roast until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the oven and unwrap. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and cut beets into wedges. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- While beets roast, cut squash into ¼-inch-thick rings. Remove any seeds. Arrange the squash rings on a large baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss gently to coat. Season with paprika, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. When beets are done, add the squash to the oven and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- While squash roasts, chop the bacon and place it in a heavy skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, over moderate heat until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Working over moderately low heat, whisk cider vinegar and mustard into fat and bring to a gentle simmer. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil until well combined. Remove from heat and cover loosely to keep warm.
- Place baby kale in a large salad bowl. Toss with the warm vinaigrette. Add the beets and squash and toss very gently to combine; taste and adjust the seasonings. Scatter the crisp bacon and pomegranate seeds over top and serve at once.