Hot Chocolate with Sparkling Bacon Rim
A savory rim of crumbled bacon and sugar adds an unexpected twist to your favorite hot chocolate. Using a coarse, large-grained sugar really adds to the sparkling effect. Up the ante by serving some Sweet and Spicy Bacon Marshmallows on the side.
Make 8 mugs | Total Time: Less Than 30 Mins
- 4 slices Applegate Naturals® Sunday Bacon® Brand
- 3 tablespoons sparkling decorating sugar or turbinado sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Your favorite hot chocolate
- Cook the bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat, flipping once, until well browned and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- When the bacon is completely cool and very crisp, crumble it into large pieces and place in a small food processor or spice grinder with half of the sugar. Process the bacon and sugar until finely ground.
- Stir the remaining sugar into the ground bacon and transfer to a small plate or saucer. Pour the heavy cream onto another small plate or saucer.
- To coat the rims of the mugs, hold a mug upside down and dip the rim into the heavy cream, letting the excess drip off. Then dip the rim into the bacon sugar mixture until lightly coated. Repeat with the remaining mugs.
- Pour your favorite hot chocolate into the mugs and enjoy!