Eat the Rainbow Turkey Sandwich
Need more color in your life? This sandwich should do the trick. The recipe makes more beet hummus than you will need, but it makes a wonderful appetizer…serve it with pita chips and plenty of cut vegetables.
Makes 2 sandwiches | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
For the beet hummus:
- 1 pound beets, scrubbed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/3 cup tahini
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the sandwiches:
- 4 slices multigrain sandwich bread
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 (7-ounce) package Applegate Naturals® Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
To make the beet hummus:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Wrap the beets tightly in foil and roast until very tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 1 to 1½ hours. Remove from the oven, unwrap and let cool slightly.
- When cool enough to handle, rub the skins from the beets. Let cool completely.
- Coarsely chop the cooled beets and place in a food processor with the garlic; process until the vegetables are very finely chopped.
- Add the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin and salt to the food processor and process until mixture is very smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Transfer to a bowl. (The recipe makes about 2 cups hummus; leftovers will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.)
To make the sandwiches:
- Spread some of the beet hummus on 2 slices of bread.
- Divide the spinach evenly over the hummus then top with the turkey, yellow peppers, carrots and tomatoes.
- Close the sandwiches with the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve at once.