Des Moines Dog
Des Moines Dog: Grilled Corn and Cherry Tomato Salad
It may not be traditional, but it certainly seems natural to top an Iowa-inspired dog with corn. Turns out it’s delicious, too.
Watch the videoDes Moines Dog
Makes 8 | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- Small handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 package Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog™ Brand
- 1 package hot dog buns, toasted
- In a medium bowl, combine the onions, vinegar, and olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cherry tomatoes.
- Let sit while the corn and hot dogs grill.
- Grill the corn until tender and blackened in places.
- Remove from the grill.
- When cool enough to handle, cut corn kernels from the cobs and stir into the tomato salad along with the basil.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Grill hot dogs to desired doneness.
- Arrange hot dogs in toasted buns.
- Top each hot dog with a big spoonful of the salad.