Turkey, Bacon, and Bean Chili
As featured in The Applegatarian.
Think beyond just "burgers" when it comes to our all-natural* meat patties. This chili, made with APPLEGATE ORGANICS® Turkey Burgers and APPLEGATE NATURALS® SUNDAY BACON® bacon, is loaded with veggies and beans and delivers deep satisfaction.
Serves 4-6 | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
- 1 (8-ounce) package APPLEGATE NATURALS® SUNDAY BACON®, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) package APPLEGATE ORGANICS® Turkey Burgers
- ¼ cup chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 2 (15-ounce) cans beans, such as pinto, kidney, or black, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Crushed corn chips, for serving
- 1 (5-ounce) package APPLEGATE ORGANICS®Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, chopped, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pot.
- Add the celery, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic to the bacon fat in the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the burgers. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked and crumbled, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add the tomatoes, beans, and 3 cups water. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and lime juice. Season to taste with salt. Set aside.
- Serve bowls of the chili with the lime sour cream, reserved bacon, corn chips, cheese, hot sauce, and cilantro.