Thai-Style Chicken and Rice Soup
Taking an extra 15 minutes to enrich a store-bought stock with aromatics and green curry paste is what gives this easy, weeknight soup its great depth of flavor. While the stock simmers, prep your chicken and veggies, and you’ll be sitting down to supper before you know it.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, sliced
- 1¼ cups cilantro leaves, divided
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Naturals® Grilled Chicken Breast Strips, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Combine the chicken broth, water, curry paste, garlic cloves, ginger and 1 cup cilantro leaves in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the solids and discard.
- Add the rice to the simmering broth and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken, carrot, red bell pepper, coconut milk and fish sauce and simmer until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the remaining ¼ cup cilantro leaves.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the lime juice, chopped cilantro and salt to taste. Serve at once.