Pepperoni and Pesto Pinwheels
A last-minute brush of garlic butter burnishes these pretty pinwheels, turning them into a love child between pizza bites and garlic knots.
Makes 12 Pinwheels | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 2 ounces APPLEGATE NATURALS® Uncured Pork and Beef Pepperoni , chopped
- ½ cup tomato sauce, plus more for dipping, if you like
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- ⅓ cup pesto
- 1½ pounds refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine chopped pepperoni, tomato sauce and ½ cup mozzarella in a small bowl. Combine pesto and remaining ½ cup mozzarella in another bowl.
- Divide dough in half. Roll one piece of dough into an 8 x 12-inch rectangle, cut the rectangle into 6 squares. Arrange squares on one of the prepared baking sheets. Starting at corner of each square, use a sharp knife to cut toward center of square, stopping 1/2-inch from center. Evenly top each square with a spoonful of the pepperoni mixture. Fold every other point into center; press to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough and the pesto cheese mixture. Bake until crusts are puffed and golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- While the pinwheels bake, combine the olive oil, butter and garlic in a small saucepan and heat over moderate heat until sizzling and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Brush the garlic butter over the pinwheels. Garnish with parsley and serve at once.