Pancake Tacos with Chicken and Sage Sausage Patties and Fruit Salsa
Recipe Courtesy of Tiffani Thiessen
Makes 6 Tacos | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
For the fruit salsa:
- 1 cup finely diced fruit, such as strawberries, mango, and granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- Pinch kosher salt
For the pancakes:
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- Unsalted butter, for greasing pan
For the taco:
To make the fruit salsa:
Add all the ingredients to a small bow and toss to combine. Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 1 hour before serving.
To make the pancakes:
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, yogurt, oil, and vanilla until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Add enough butter to melt and lightly coat the pan. Add ½ cup of batter per pancake, allowing the batter to spread out in the pan until it is about 5-6 inches wide, you may need to cook your pancakes in batches depending on the pan you are using. Cook until the batter begins to bubble, about 2 minutes, and then use a metal spatula to flip the pancakes over. Add a slice of cheese to the top of each pancake and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the pancake is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Remove to a baking sheet and cook the remaining pancakes if necessary, adding more butter as needed. Hold the pancakes in the warm oven until ready to serve.
To make the tacos:
- Cook the Applegate Chicken and Sage Sausage Patties according to the package instructions. When done cooking, remove to a cutting board and cut the patties in half. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper until evenly combined. Heat a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the oil and heat for about 1 minute, swirling the pan to ensure it is evenly coated. Pour in the eggs and let cook for about 30 seconds before using a rubber spatula to push the cooked eggs towards the center and allow the raw egg to move to the outside of the pan and cook. Repeat until all the eggs are cooked through and fluffy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble the tacos: Shingle two halves of the Applegate Chicken and Sage Sausage Patties on one side of the pancake, top with some scrambled egg and a few tablespoons of the fruit salsa. Top with some lime zest and serve immediately.