Ham, Cheese and Apple Turnover
These savory pastries filled with ham, cheese and crisp apples are a great thing to have in the fridge or freezer, waiting to be reheated in the toaster or oven. Look for ready-to-bake rolled pie crusts (not the kind that is already in a pan). Once you get the hang of these, start experimenting—you can fill them with almost anything!
Makes 4 | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 1 (15-ounce) package ready-to-bake rolled pie crusts
- 4 slices APPLEGATE NATURALS® Slow Cooked Ham
- 4 slices APPLEGATE ORGANICS® American Cheese
- ½ crisp apple, thinly sliced 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove pie crusts from packaging and gently unroll. Working with 1 crust at a time, use a rolling pin to roll out slightly, patching any cracks that appear. Using a sharp knife, cut the rounded edges from crust to make a 9-by-9-inch square. Then cut the square in half to make two 4 ½-by-9-inch rectangles.
- Fold 1 piece of ham in half and place on one-half of a dough rectangle, keeping a ½-inch border all around (trim ham to fit if needed). Fold 1 piece of cheese in half and lay over the ham. Top with 3 or 4 apple slices. Fold the dough over the fillings and use a fork to press the edges to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough, ham, cheese and apples.
- Transfer the pastries to baking sheet and cut a few vents in top of each pastry.
- Whisk together egg and water in a small bowl. Lightly brush top of each pastry with egg wash.
- Bake pastries until golden brown, 15–18 minutes. Let cool slightly before eating.