Beet & Red Cabbage Borscht w/ Chicken-Apple Sausage
Chicken sausage may be an unexpected addition to borscht, but we love how it complements the natural sweetness of beets and red cabbage.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 large red beets, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into strips
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- (12-ounce) package Applegate Organics® Chicken & Apple Sausage, sliced
- Chopped fresh dill, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat, then add the carrots, celery and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the caraway seeds and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the beets, potatoes, cabbage and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 30–40 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then add the vinegar.
- Stir in the sliced sausages and cook until warmed through and plump, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with some chopped dill. Serve immediately.
- The soup keeps, in an airtight container, up to 5 days in the refrigerator, and up to 1 month in the freezer.