The Pilgrim w/Turkey, Cranberry Sauce & Pickled Celery
No need to wait for the day after Thanksgiving for this comforting turkey sandwich. The pickled celery adds a crisp, salty jolt, a nice play against the sweet-tart cranberries.
Makes 1 sandwich | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
- 2 slices white sandwich bread
- 1 leaf Boston lettuce
- 3 slices Applegate Naturals® Oven Roasted Turkey Breast or Applegate Naturals® Smoked Turkey Breast
- 2–3 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- Pickled Celery (see recipe)
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 12 black peppercorns
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Spread 1 slice of bread with mayonnaise, then top with the lettuce and turkey.
- Spoon the cranberry sauce over the turkey and top with several slices of pickled celery.
- Top with the other piece of bread, cut the sandwich in half and serve.
Pickled Celery - Makes about 1 pint
- Bring the vinegar, water, peppercorns, sugar, salt, celery seeds, and mustard seeds to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the celery and stir to combine.
- Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate overnight for flavors to develop.
- The pickled celery keeps up to 1 week in the refrigerator.