Pasta Carbonara with Bacon, Peas, and Greens
Cooking pasta in a small amount of liquid and then adding the sauce ingredients to the same pan saves time and energy and requires less cleanup. An added bonus is that the pasta really soaks up all the flavors of the ingredients it is cooked with.
As featured in The Applegatarian, an outlet where employees and advocates of the nation’s leading natural and organic meat brand dish about their favorite recipes, tips, products, partners and more.
Serves 4 | Total Time: Less Than 30 Mins
- 1 (8-ounce) package APPLEGATE NATURALS®SUNDAY BACON® bacon, chopped
- 5 cups water or chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound dried pasta
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 cups baby kale, arugula, or spinach
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add the water, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta to the simmering water, then cover and simmer, stirring occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking together, until the pasta is nearly cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a glass measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, cream, Parmesan, and black pepper.
- Uncover the pasta and scatter the peas over the top. Then, slowly pour the egg mixture into the pan, while stirring the pasta vigorously. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened and the pasta is fully cooked, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, then stir in the kale and bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once.