Green Beans and Pearl Onions with Bacon Vinaigrette
Snappy green beans get party-ready with a sharp, mustardy dressing and a generous scattering of crisp bacon.
Serves 8 | Total Time: Less Than 30 Mins
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh pearl onions
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Naturals® Sunday Bacon® Brand, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the beans and boil until bright green and tender, about 5 minutes. Use tongs to scoop out the beans and place in a colander to drain. Set aside.
- Add the pearl onions to the boiling water and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well. When cool enough to handle, trim and peel the onions.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it is very crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Measure how much bacon fat is in the pan; there should be about 2 tablespoons.
- Return the bacon fat to the skillet over medium-low heat and add enough olive oil to equal 4 tablespoons total fat. Add the mustard and cider vinegar and stir to combine well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the beans and the onions with the hot dressing; taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Transfer the vegetables to a serving dish and top with the crisp bacon.