Sausage Stuffing with Apples and Cranberries
Fresh apples and dried cranberries help boost the sweetness of Applegate’s chicken and apple sausage in this classic bread stuffing.
Serves 8-10 | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) package Applegate Organics Chicken and Apple Sausage , sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 sweet-tart apples, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 heaping teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 heaping teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 heaping teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- About 10 cups day-old country bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth, or as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a 9 x 13–inch baking dish.
- Put the cranberries in a bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside to plump as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a wide heavy skillet over moderately high heat. Add the sausage, onions and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until onion and celery are softened and sausage has browned in places, about 10 minutes. Add the apples and herbs and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drain the cranberries and add to the sausage mixture. Remove from the heat.
- Place the bread into a large mixing bowl. Add the sausage mixture and mix together gently. Add enough chicken broth so stuffing is evenly moistened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to the buttered baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter and drizzle evenly over the stuffing. Bake until stuffing is golden brown and top is crisp, about 45 minutes.