Citrus Margarita with Charred Bacon Rim
Imagine a deliciously smooth, not too sweet margarita…then add a rim of charred bacon salt, which suddenly turns up the volume with its smoky, savory, slightly bitter notes. Let the party begin.
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Naturals® Sunday Bacon® Brand
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- ½ cup tequila
- ½ cup triple sec
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Lime and orange wedges for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Arrange the bacon in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake until browned and very crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain and cool.
- When bacon is completely cool, break it into large pieces and transfer to a food processor along with the salt and pulse until it is finely ground (take care not to over process the bacon into a paste).
- Turn on the broiler. Transfer the bacon salt to small baking sheet and broil, stirring frequently, until very browned and charred in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer the charred bacon salt to a small bowl and let cool completely.
- Combine the tequila, triple sec, orange and lime juices in a large cocktail shaker or glass jar.
- Run a lime wedge around the rims of 4 rocks glasses or margarita glasses. Dip the rims of the glasses in the bacon salt to lightly coat. Fill the glasses with ice.
- Add some ice to the cocktail shaker and shake the mixture vigorously for about 15 seconds. Strain into the ice-filled glasses. Garnish the margaritas with lime and orange wedges and serve at once.