Sausage Waffle on a Stick!
The runner-up winner of the FARE-Off Recipe Contest, Kimberly Hagenbuch, shares the inspiration for her Sausage Waffle on a Stick:
I am a registered dietitian and food allergy mom. When my daughter was diagnosed at 6 months old, I immersed myself in research and developed my dietitian knowledge to specialize in helping families with food allergies.
I am inspired by the food allergy community to educate, advocate, and cook! I realize it can be daunting, and I hope to make things easier through delicious recipes and sound nutritional advice.
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer, such as Bob’s Red Mill
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 1½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 Applegate Naturals Chicken and Sage Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 100% pure maple syrup, for serving
- 6 popsicle sticks or wooden skewers to make a wafflepop
- Preheat waffle maker.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon egg replacer with 2 tablespoons of the water. Let sit for 2 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add applesauce, vanilla extract, egg replacer mixture, and remaining ¼ cup water to the dry ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Microwave Applegate Chicken and Sage Breakfast Patties until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Insert a popsicle stick or wooden skewer into each sausage patty
- Working in batches, coat each sausage patty completely with batter. Place each coated patty onto a section of the hot waffle maker. Cook until waffles are puffed and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining sausage patties and waffle batter.
- To serve, drizzle each waffle pop with 100% pure maple syrup and enjoy!