Flo's Choice (Grilled Cheese with Smashed Berries)
Vivian Howard’s daughter Flo loves this gooey grilled cheese sandwich with smashed blackberries, but you can use practically any juicy in-season fruit: blueberries, strawberries, peaches, apricots, figs. Applegate’s American cheese pairs beautifully with that jammy sweetness.
Makes 2 sandwiches | Total Time: Less Than 15 Mins
- 4 slices sandwich bread of your choice
- 4 slices Applegate Organics® American Cheese
- 1/3 cup blackberries or raspberries
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter
- A pinch of salt
- Using a fork, gently smash the berries so they just start to break open.
- Preheat a 10-12 inch skillet over low heat.
- Lay one piece of cheese on two slices bread. Top with the berries. Lay the remaining slices on top of the berries. Top with the last two slices of bread.
- Melt half the butter in the skillet. Carefully lay the sandwiches in and toast on one side, making sure you gently press down on the bread with a spatula. When the bottom piece of cheese appears to have melted, flip the sandwich, add the butter and toast on that side.
- Remove the sandwiches from the skillet. Sprinkle with salt. Cut in half and serve.