Chef Renee’s Steel Cut Oats with Honey Bacon Clusters
Chef Renee Blackman loves pairing creamy oatmeal with homemade crunchy granola. Threaded through with bacon and coconut, these sweet-salty clusters are also delicious eaten out of hand for an afternoon snack or sprinkled over fruit, yogurt or salads.
For the honey bacon clusters:
- 4 slices APPLEGATE NATURALS® Sunday Bacon®
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
For the oatmeal:
- 3 cups steel cut oats
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- To make the honey bacon clusters, preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the bacon on the lined baking sheet and bake until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain on a paper towel–lined plate, then gently crumble. Pour off most of the fat from the baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the old-fashioned oats, 2 tablespoons honey, vegetable oil, water and black pepper and mix well until evenly coated. Spread out on the parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Stir gently, then continue to bake until crisp and browned, about 20 minutes more. Gently stir in the coconut flakes, reserved bacon and remaining 2 tablespoons honey and bake for 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the steel cut oats: Combine the steel cut oats, coconut milk and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until oats are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place the prepared oats in bowls and garnish with the honey bacon clusters. Serve and enjoy immediately.