Egg in a Hole Bacon and Avocado Sandwich
Recipe courtesy of Tiffani Thiessen
Makes 4 breakfast sandwiches | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 8 slices Applegate Organics No Sugar Bacon
- 4 bagels
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 avocados, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 heirloom or vine-ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon according to the package directions in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven and place bacon slices on a paper towel lined tray. Drain the excess bacon grease into a small bowl and save for another use. Reserve the sheet pan that is coated in bacon grease.
- Cut the bagels in half. Place the bagel halves cut side down on the greased baking sheet. Carefully crack an egg into each hole of the top halves of the bagel; if the hole of your bagel isn’t large enough, use a round cutter or paring knife to make the hole larger. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until the egg whites are set but the yolk is still runny and the bagel is toasted.
- While the eggs cook, in a small bowl combine the salt, lemon zest and black pepper. Season the avocado and tomatoes with some of the lemon salt.
- Remove the bagels from the oven, top each bottom half of the bagels with half an avocado, 2-3 tomato slices and two pieces of Applegate Organics No Sugar Bacon slices. Top with the bagel and egg and season the egg with more lemon salt. Repeat with the remaining bagels and serve immediately.