Hot Dogs with Harissa Ketchup, Tahini Mustard and Raw Cucumber Relish
It’s not hard to jazz up hot dog classics—here, we reach into the Middle Eastern pantry to make some old familiars seem a little more exciting.
For the Raw Cucumber Relish:
- 3 Persian cucumbers, finely diced
- 2 radishes, finely diced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Tahini Mustard:
- ¼ cup country-style Dijon mustard
- 1–2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon honey
For the Harissa Ketchup:
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1–2 tablespoons harissa
For the Hot Dogs:
- To make the raw cucumber relish, combine the cucumbers, radishes, scallions, parsley, mint, lemon juice, sumac and salt in a bowl. Stir well to combine. (Alternatively, you can use a food processor to chop the vegetables if you like. Simply pulse the ingredients until finely chopped and well combined.)
- To make the tahini mustard, stir together all ingredients in a small bowl. Add a drop or two of water if mixture is too thick.
- To make the harissa ketchup, stir together the ketchup and harissa.
- Grill the hot dogs and buns according to package instructions. Serve with the prepared toppings.