The city of Famailla in Argentina is known as the National Capital of the Empanada, and is home to an empanada festival celebrated every September.
At the event, women tempt the judges with empanadas made from special family recipes. The winner is awarded the title of Empanada Queen.
Here's your chance to be the queen or king of your own empanada empire!
Yields 42 Bites
- 11 slices Applegate Monterey Jack Cheese with Jalapeño Peppers
- 1 package (15 oz., 2 count) store-bought pie dough, at room temperature
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup corn meal
- 16 oz. organic canned refried beans
- 3 links Applegate Organics Fire Roasted Red Pepper Sausage chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten with a little water
- ½ avocados, ripe, mashed slightly
- 1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- ½ Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons. cilantro, minced
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Cut each piece of cheese into four pieces.
- Lightly flour work surface and roll out each piecrust to 1/8'' thickness.
- Using a 3'' biscuit cutter, cut 21 rounds out of each pie dough.
- Cover dough rounds with a damp paper towel until ready to use.
- Dust a cookie sheet with cornmeal.
- Onto one side of each dough round, place a piece of cheese, one teaspoon of beans and a Tablespoon of the chopped sausage
- Brush beaten egg around edge of each dough round and fold dough over filling. Crimp edges with fork to seal.
- Brush egg wash on empanadas and bake 25-30 minutes, until richly browned.
Serve with your favorite guacamole for a healthy snack. But wait … there's more...Avocado Crema:
- Combine avocado, sour cream, lime juice, garlic and cilantro in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve as a dipping sauce with those fit-for-a-king-or-queen Empañadas you just created.
Print This Recipe