Recipes - Bacon, Squash and Quinoa Chowder
Bacon adds its porky savor to this healthy, colorful chowder chock-a-block full of squash, quinoa and spinach.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Natural or Organic Sunday Bacon, chopped
- 4 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth or water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 (5-ounce) container baby spinach, chopped
- Combine the bacon and squash in a heavy pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon has rendered and squash is softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add half of the chopped scallions (save the remaining for garnish) and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until the squash is fully tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa and the spinach and simmer until the spinach is tender, about 5 minutes. Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve the soup garnished with the remaining scallions.
Print This Recipe