- Cook the bacon in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Heat the skillet over moderate heat, add the eggs and cook, stirring, until lightly scrambled. Remove from the heat. Double up the warm tortillas and divide among 4 plates.
- Divide the scrambled eggs among the tortillas. Spoon some salsa over each taco. Coarsely chop the bacon and divide among the tacos, along with the queso fresco and chopped onion. Scatter a few cilantro leaves over each taco and serve at once.
For the Roasted Poblano Salsa Verde:
We love the bright acidity of fresh tomatillos. It’s delicious with pork shoulder, flank steak or a simple bowl of tortilla chips. This salsa will keep for a few days in the fridge.
Makes about 2 cups
- Set the pepper directly on the grates of a gas stove, turn on the heat to medium-high and roast the pepper, turning occasionally, until blackened all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pepper to paper bag and seal to steam and cool. (The pepper can also be roasted on a grill or broiled.)
- When the pepper has cooled, remove it from the bag and peel off the skin. Stem the pepper and remove the seeds. Coarsely chop it and put in a blender.
- Add the tomatillos, onions, cilantro and salt to the blender and blend until smooth.