- Spread the butter over one side of the bread slices. Arrange 2 slices of bread, butter sides down, in a large heavy skillet or on a sandwich press.
- Spread the dressing evenly over the 2 slices of bread in the skillet, then top with the sauerkraut and the cheese. Lay the remaining 2 slices of bread over the sandwiches, butter sides up.
- Cook the sandwiches over moderate heat, flipping halfway through if using a skillet, until the bread is golden brown and toasted and cheese is melted.
- Remove from the skillet, cut in half and serve at once.
Russian Island Dressing
This creamy, piquant dressing is delicious tucked into a sandwich or spooned over a crisp salad (say, one of green beans, avocado, hardboiled eggs and bacon!).
Makes about ¾ cup / Takes less than 10 minutes
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated horseradish
- Stir all of the ingredients together in a bowl. The dressing keeps, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 1 week.