- Cook the bacon until crisp, according to package instructions.
- Remove from heat, drain briefly on paper towels, then crumble with your hands or finely chop.
- Grill the hot dogs to desired doneness.
- Arrange hot dogs in toasted buns and top with baked beans, chopped onions, and crumbled bacon.
Boston Baked Beans
This makes a lot of beans, more than you’ll need for 1 package of hot dogs. Happily, they freeze beautifully.
Makes about 6 cups
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Cook the chopped bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the molasses, mustard, water, beans, and salt.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and put in the oven.
- Cook, covered, until beans are tender, about 4 hours.
- Uncover the pot and continue to cook in the oven until liquid is reduced and syrupy, 1–2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the brown sugar and vinegar.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve warm.