Bacon, Egg and Cheese Rice Balls
Serve these savory golden rice balls filled with RightRice, crisp bacon, sharp cheddar and eggs (which help hold them together) as an appetizer or snack. Using a small deep saucepan for frying keeps the mess to a minimum.
- 1 (8-oz) package APPLEGATE NATURALS® SUNDAY BACON®
- 1 BOU Chicken Bouillon Cube 1 ⅓ cups water
- 1 (7-oz) package Garlic Herb RightRice 4 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs Vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
- Cook the bacon according to package instructions until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. When cool, chop the bacon.
- Meanwhile, combine the bouillon cube and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the RightRice, cover and remove from the heat. Let sit for 12 minutes.
- Lightly beat 2 of the eggs and stir into the rice, along with the shredded cheese and chopped bacon. Stir well to combine, then transfer mixture to the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, place the flour and breadcrumbs in 2 separate shallow bowls. Crack the eggs into a third shallow bowl and beat lightly to combine.
- Scoop out some of the cooled rice mixture and roll to make a 2-inch ball. Dredge in the flour, then coat with the egg and then dredge in the breadcrumbs. Place on a parchment-lined tray and continue with the remaining rice mixture. If mixture becomes too soft to work with, return it to the fridge for a few minutes.
- Fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of oil and heat over moderately high heat. Oil is ready for frying when a piece of bread dipped in the oil starts bubbling immediately. Working in batches, carefully place 4 rice balls in the hot oil and fry, flipping once, until golden brown all over, 2–3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain and continue frying the remaining rice balls. Serve warm.