Under the general direction of the Director of Brand Marketing, the Brand Manager will play a critical role in advancing Applegate's mission of "Changing the Meat We Eat," by executing upon all elements of the marketing mix. This position requires a general management mindset and the ability to become THE subject-matter expert on the Applegate category portfolio they are assigned. The role will work collaboratively with marketing peers and cross-functional teams to deliver short and long-term results via day-to-day business management, new product development, and exceptional marketing programs. This role will also be involved with supporting and / or leading special strategic projects, as needed.
1. Responsible for developing the Annual Operating Plan (AOP) / Strategic Sales Plan (SSP) and executing these plans to deliver sales and profit objectives.
2. Analyzes the business, category trends, and competitive landscape to deliver insights, recommendations, and actions to achieve objectives.
3. Owns inputs into critical business processes, including Integrated Business Planning / S&OP and the Category Business Team.
4. Responsible for strategic leadership and oversight of category-specific marketing programs to achieve business objectives.
5. Monitor and analyze marketing program performance to determine successful ROI and inform future strategic decisions.
6. Identify consumer needs and leverage insights to build short and long-term innovation plans, including white space opportunities, product extensions, category expansion, and packaging improvements.
7. Champion new product development process, leading and inspiring cross-functional teams for flawless launch execution.
8. Own the P&L for scope of responsibility and actively manage critical levers, including margin improvement initiatives, pricing / trade strategies, and marketing budgets.
9. Leveraging consumer research and analytics, develop a robust understanding of the Applegate consumer and be the voice of this consumer throughout the broader organization.
10. Willingness to roll-up sleeves and help broader team on additional projects as needed in the spirit of Applegate's Cultural Beliefs and "what else can I do?" mindset.
11. Critical member of the Category Business Team (CBT)
• Bachelor’s degree in Business MBA preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience with product/brand management in a consumer packaged goods industry. Experience with Food strongly preferred.
• 2-4 years innovation/new product development experience (in-house or consulting/agency) strongly preferred
• Strong product portfolio management skills; experience with new product process/management a plus
• Ability to work collaboratively, motivate and influence across levels.
• Demonstrated strategic thinking and financial analysis skills.
• Proven financial acumen as it relates to P&L/margin and pricing fundamentals
• Strong communication skills both verbal and written
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines through diligent project management. Flexibility within a “high-change” environment is a must.
• Must exhibit a passion for food and the company’s vision, mission and values
• Highly Proficient with Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel and PPT), Outlook. Experience with analytical & syndicated data tools (Nielson, IRI, SPINS, Etc.)
• Small, fast paced, socially responsible, and entrepreneurial environment
• Constant attention to detail
• Travel – 10% -20%