This is a great recipe for a crockpot. In the morning, throw everything, except the kielbasa and frozen peas, into the slow cooker. When you get home in the evening, stir in the final ingredients, and dinner will be ready by the time the table is set. A loaf of crusty bread turns this comforting soup into a weeknight feast.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 10 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package Applegate Organic Chicken & Apple Sausage
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat, then add the carrots, celery and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the split peas, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until split peas have fallen apart and soup is slightly thickened, about 1½ hours.
- Fish out the bay leaf and discard. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the sausage and cook until warmed through and plump, about 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the defrosted peas and cook until just warmed through.
- To serve, ladle the soup into warm bowls and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.
- Keep the soup an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, and up to 1 month in the freezer.
Print This Recipe