Recipes - Organic Italian Sausage Skillet with Beans
This recipe calls for organic sausage, but it also works with virtually any kind of fresh sausage and sturdy fresh greens.
- 1 head escarole, leaves separated, washed, and torn into pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 Applegate Organic Sweet Italian Sausages cut crosswise into 1"thick pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 28-oz can whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 15.5-oz can white beans, such as navy, great Northern, or cannellini, drained
- 2 heads Belgian endive or 1 small head radicchio, rinsed, trimmed, and quartered
- Freshly ground black pepper
Printable Shopping List
- Blanch the escarole in a large skillet of boiling salted water over medium-high heat until just wilted, about 30 seconds.
- Drain and set the greens aside.
- Wipe the skillet dry, add the oil, and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausages and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are soft, 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, crushing them with your hand as you add them to the skillet, then add the canning juices.
- Add the blanched greens, Belgian endive or radicchio, and the beans.
- Season to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cook until the endive or radicchio wilt and the brothy skillet juices thicken slightly, about 5 minutes.
Well … what are you waiting for? That's it … you're ready to eat!
Print This Recipe