Grilled Sausage and Romaine Salad
You can either serve this as a composed salad as directed below, or as a tossed one. To do so, simply cut the kernels off the ears of corn, slide the tomatoes off the skewers, and roughly chop the romaine heads once they come off the grill. Add to a salad bowl along with the sausages and avocado and toss gently with the lemony-yogurt dressing. If you have a large grill, you should be able to get everything on at once. If not, you’ll have to work in stages.
For the dressing:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne
For the salad:
- 1 red onion, cut into thick wedges
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) package Applegate Naturals®
Jalapeño & Cheddar Sausage
- 3 heads baby romaine, halved lengthwise
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, salt and cayenne in a food processor or blender and blend until very smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Lay the onion in a square of foil. Drizzle the olive oil over the onion and season with salt and pepper. Loosely wrap the foil around the onion and place on the grill. Grill until crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the corn until tender and blackened in spots, 12 to 15 minutes. Carefully cut the ears into 2-inch rounds and transfer to a platter, along with the onions. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Grill the sausages until grill marks appear and the sausages are hot through, about 10 minutes. Slice the sausages and add to the platter.
- Thread the tomatoes onto skewers. Grill until blistered and softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer to the platter.
- Lay the romaine halves cut side down on the grill and grill until slightly wilted and charred in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the platter. Drizzle with the dressing or serve on the side for everyone to serve themselves.