Recipes - Creamy Potato Soup with Bacon and Scallions
The soothing flavors of a baked potato…in soup form. We wouldn’t blame you for adding a dollop of sour cream!
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Natural Good Morning Bacon, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 1½ cups whole milk or heavy cream
- Cook the bacon in a heavy pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to cool.
- While the bacon cooks, thinly slice the scallions, reserving the green and white parts separately.
- Once the bacon is removed from the pot, add the butter, celery and scallion whites and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, thyme, chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprig. Purée the soup in a blender until very smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids; alternatively, use a hand blender). Return the soup to the pot and whisk in the milk or cream and season to taste with salt and pepper, thinning as needed. Reheat gently over medium-low heat.
- Divide the soup among warm bowls and top with the crisp bacon and reserved scallion greens.
Print This Recipe