Recipes - Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
This creamy soup is elegant enough to kick off a formal meal, but satisfying enough to serve for lunch, eaten at your desk while you try to make a deadline.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), broken or chopped into small florets
- 1 russet potato, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces Applegate Extra-Sharp Aged Cheddar Cheese, chopped
- ½ cup half and half or heavy cream, or to taste
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large heavy pot over medium heat and add the leeks and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, potatoes, mustard and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are very soft and falling apart, 30–40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and, working in 2 batches, blend the soup in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Alternatively, use an immersion blender to purée the soup.
- Return the soup to the pot and season to taste with salt and pepper. Warm the soup so that it is hot but not boiling, then add the cheese a handful at a time, stirring until it melts before adding another handful.
- Once all the cheese has been added, add the cream to thin the soup as necessary. Taste and season again with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle soup into warm bowls. Drizzle the soup with some extra-virgin olive oil and garnish with sliced scallions. Serve immediately.
- Keep the soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, and up to 1 month in the freezer.
Print This Recipe