Recipes - Autumn Vegetable Soup with Bacon and Avocado
Loaded with bright orange vegetables and a hint of heat from fresh chilis, this smooth soup veers from the usual sweet pumpkin soups. Topped with creamy avocado and crisp bacon, it makes a satisfying lunch or dinner.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Natural or Organic Sunday Bacon, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 fresh red chilis, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Cook the bacon in a soup pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp and browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to drain; set aside.
- Add the carrots, squash, sweet potato and onion to the bacon fat in the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6–8 minutes. Stir in the chilis and cumin. Season with 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Purée the soup until very smooth, thinning out with a little chicken stock or water if needed. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Return to the pot and keep warm.
- Toss together the avocado and lime juice in a small bowl. Divide the soup among bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, the chopped avocado and the crisp bacon.
Print This Recipe