Under the direction of the Quality Assurance Director, this role is responsible for ensuring the quality and food safety of the raw supply as well as acting as the liaison for raw supply business development. This role is the primary troubleshooter and point of contact for raw supply quality issues and is the primary quality assurance contact for suppliers of raw materials. This role is responsible for accurate interpretation of the Applegate Food Safety and Quality Manual as it relates to raw supply.
1. Primary point of contact/consultant/leader for raw supply personnel for questions and changes that have an impact on temperature, time/temp issues, quality, food safety, supplier changes, process changes, and finished product quality as relates to raw supply.
2. Responsible for raw supplier approval process as it pertains to the quality standard operating procedures.
3. Lead root cause analysis for raw supply quality and food safety issues as needed. Work with raw suppliers to implement and verify corrective actions.
4. Develop relationships with suppliers and Applegate’s raw team to lead quality and food safety initiatives.
5. Verify individual raw materials for adherence to raw specifications and the accuracy of Applegate’s raw specifications.
6. Responsible for performing food safety and quality audits, and verifying all required corrective action follow up activities for raw suppliers.
7. Elevate the knowledgebase around meat science and quality for the raw supply department team members. Become the subject matter expert for technical raw supply of meat.
8. The key liaison between the raw supply, research and development, and the quality assurance department, updating and communicating to both on key activities on a regular basis (minimum 1/month).
9. Work individually or as part of a team to examine, question, evaluate and report to management, information regarding the supplier facility quality assurance system adequacy and deficiencies.
10. Work alongside processors, identifying and preventing quality problems and providing documentation and follow-up as needed. Identify, measure and monitor critical to quality attributes for raw supply that impact finished product quality and consistency. Focus on prevention rather than detection. Where possible benchmark competitors and report on competitor trends when identified.
11. Responsible for continuous improvement/automation of the supplier vendor report card. Oversee real time data tracking of key inputs. Responsible for the approval and accuracy of the supplier and vendor report card Including:
a. Establish the vendor report card review calendar.
b. Conduct vendor report card review with suppliers.
12. Ensure annual mock recalls include traceability back to the farm.
13. Perform detailed analytics and report with high level professional writing skills
Other Responsibilities Include:
14. Performs other duties and administrative functions as directed by Applegate leadership.
15. As needed, train new and existing team members on written programs and/or new systems.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science or equivalent work experience.
• 3-5 years of experience working in quality assurance within food/consumer packaged goods industry, significant raw meat experience and knowledge required.
• Excellent communications skills both written and verbal
• High level report writing with logical results and conclusions.
• Ability to maintain excellent vendor relationships.
• Excellent attention to detail and follow-up skills.
• Proven ability in HACCP and auditing.
• Proven track record of leading by influence, organizational, and self-management skills.
• Computer skills required which include Microsoft Office Suite, and Microsoft Outlook.
• Travel – up to 40%. Includes overnight travel as needed and significant time spent driving in a car.
• Significant time spent in the raw meat and slaughter facilities.
• Exposed to very cold and very hot environments for extended periods of time.
• May require occasional lifting of up to 60 pounds..
• Constant talking and computer work.
• This individual will need to manage their time carefully whether in the corporate office, a plant site or a mobile office.