Under the direction of the Raw Supply Business Development Manager, the Raw Supply Business Development Specialist is responsible for stabilizing and growing raw supply including verification that producers meet Applegate standards for both fresh and further processed raw materials.
1. Assists the Raw Supply Business Development Manager in the daily maintenance and monitoring of raw supply, enlisting producers and improving quality standards within company expected performance metrics.
2. Lead or be actively involved in negotiations with suppliers of Raw Supply.
3. Responsible for updating current and future raw supply on a weekly basis. Creates and manages forecasts for raw supply and informs Raw Supply Business Development Manager of changes in supply.
4. Researches, documents and informs Raw Supply Business Development Manager of new prospects for future supply.
5. In conjunction with the Animal Welfare Manager and staff, responsible for using current programs to verify and audit farms to assure compliance with Applegate standards and that of Applegate’s customer’s protocols / third party certifications.
6. Communicates Applegate Animal Welfare standards in accordance with company policies and procedures to the producers.
7. Conducts and coordinates new or prospective producer training in conjunction with Animal Welfare and Quality Assurance teams.
8. Assists in driving farm system growth through the addition of new producers and support growth with current suppliers.
9. Keeps abreast of and informs Raw Supply Business Development Manager of competitive developments in the field regarding either supply or competitor intentions as it relates to ABF/Organic.
10. Keeps abreast of and informes Raw Supply Inventory Manager of product flow and upcomeing prospects entering the system.
Other Responsibilities Include:
12. Other duties as directed by Raw Supply Business Development Manager relating to raw material, frozen inventory management and finished product as may be required.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in Agriculture, Meat or Animal Science.
• 3-5 years’ Working knowledge of the meat industry including: farming and processing. ABF / Organic industry highly preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal skills (both written and oral) with a proven track record of developing strong, mutually beneficial relationships.
• Negotiating experience highly preferred.
• Proven analytical ability and attention to detail.
• Experience with commodity markets.
• Proven ability to meet deadlines and be a self-starter.
• Ability to work independently and with cross-functional teams to manage priorities.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
• Ability to positively represent Applegate and its mission.
• Strong experience in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, SharePoint and PowerPoint). Outlook experience preferred.
• Travel approximately 60%; includes overnight and travel to other countries as deemed necessary by position.
• Constant standing, walking and verbal communication.